Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Paris Wife

Reading before my roommate met me for girl's night downtown
This weekend was incredible. Last week I read The Sun Also Rises, which lead me to read The Paris Wife. This book is a fiction novel, based on truth that explains the story of The Hemingway's marriage through the eyes of Ernest's wife, Hadley. I flew through the pages, delighted by the sassy, true love they shared. Ernest- particular, excited, spontaneous, outspoken but always quiet about things he found too emotional to discuss. Hadley- strong, supportive, faithful, loving mother and never feeling the need or ability to dress in the popular styling of Coco Chanel. Their love seemed to appear instantaneously and they seemed to be happiest when they were alone enjoying a drink, skiing through the mountains or spending time with their son.  Hadley would have been happy living in a small country home, supporting her husband and child. But Ernest became too much for her dreams to handle and the marriage fell apart after months of her trying to live with the reality that her simplicity wasn't enough for him. I am now reading A Moveable Feast, which Ernest wrote later in life about his early time in Paris. A time which included Hadley. I'm very excited to read his version of their story.

An afternoon of soup and reading
I deleted my Facebook about a month ago and have not once wanted to reactivate it. I recall this month and realize that I've read 4 books since I deleted the account. With the completion of these books comes a more fluent French accent, more hikes, new friends, weekend getaways and much more excitement. As I walked through a crowded street tonight, on my way to a coffee shop with a book in hand; I wondered what my Facebook status would read. I then smiled, knowing that my life is so enriched and that I don't have to share it with anyone for it to be true. My smile beamed even brighter as I couldn't help but feel a bit mysterious.

I have spent the past few days thinking of deleting this blog. One of my goals is to be more reserved and to myself. I feel hypocritical wanting to be reserved and mysterious but posting my thoughts and adventures for the world to see.

After the coffee shop closed I came home to sit in my Karli-themed living room. I didn't keep track of time as I flipped through each page, bringing me closer and closer to the back cover. When I reached the end it was 03:00 and the city seemed to have fallen asleep while I was engrossed in the pages. I looked around my home and didn't see any trace of electronics. It made me happy to know that I could always come home and disappear from the fast paced world we live in.

It is now 03:45 and I will research my next weekend getaway before I go for a sunrise run around the lake. I can't help but think of how wonderful my life is and how proud I am for making it this way.

A funny selfie of my cute Friday night outfit.

C'est la vie,

Karli

1 comment:

  1. This blog hasn't been updated for a while. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete