Sunday, August 3, 2014

Finding My Management Style

Hello!

I first want to share another one of my mornings. I woke up at 4:00 AM on Saturday and had a light breakfast of steamed cabbage and egg whites with some coffee. It was crisp and chilly outside, so I took my breakfast outside to enjoy the morning with nature.

I wanted to write about what it has been like to find my leadership style.

In my training prior to management I was told that I needed to prove myself right away and establish trust with my associates. To do this, I got to know my team on a deeper level by asking questions about their families and life outside of work. I also worked along side them at least once a day to show that I was not above their work. Now a few months in, I am  experiencing difficulties.

After I learned more about the process I was able to understand when people were not following the rules. It was finally time for me to enforce rules. My leadership began with questioning people when I saw them purposely doing things that they weren't supposed to be doing. I always gave benefit of the doubt, but when I began seeing it over and over I started getting firmer with making sure rules were being followed.

The atmosphere of the shift was still fun, but my team began to realize that I hold myself and everyone around me to a higher standard. Some recent feedback from my superior suggested that I become more understanding of associates who don't have the same level of importance in the job that I do. I think this is wonderful feedback and I am definitely going to start looking for ways to be more accepting and understanding if someone is having an off day.

A few new managers that I had met at a leadership conference were in town the other day for a conference at corporate. We all met for dinner and I asked them for advice as I was feeling upset with my management style. They gave me incredible feedback. They said that I needed to stop making it so difficult and start being more of "myself" by bringing a light energy into the workplace. They then told me stories of their mistakes and accomplishments.

I now feel a sense of relief when I realize that other people are also going through this. Taking a step back from everything, I realize that I am still creating my management style. It is okay if I change the way I do things because I am still learning how to do it the right way. Most importantly, I need to remember to just be myself and continue to bring my energy into the shift.

On a more positive note, one of my associates asked to have a meeting with me the other day. She is interested in pursuing a higher position and wants my guidance. My heart raced as I saw an opportunity to help someone make a difference in their life. I have already started putting together a plan of how I can help her develop herself as a leader.

These interactions make me feel like I am in pursuit of my lifelong goal of always wanting to be a sense of inspiration to everyone around me. It also makes me so excited to be a mom and teach my children how to help themselves and to help others.

Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment