Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Woman I Want to Be

“I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I 

always knew the woman I wanted to be.

 -Diane Von Furstenberg




This quote brought me back to the young girl I once was, setting up miscellaneous groceries in our play room and forcing my siblings to purchase items from me. I specifically remember re-arranging the cans of chicken noodle soup to entice my sister into adding additional cans to her plastic shopping cart. 

While many other children (and parents) saw me as a bossy chubster, all I saw was the woman that I wanted to be: a strong business woman who lead others to finding success.

Many years later, I find myself with a degree in Food and Resource Economics and a career in management for a food delivery service. The best part- the journey is just beginning. 

Whenever I was unsure of myself, my mother would have me write down all the characteristics of who I was right now and all the characteristics of the woman I wanted to be. Images of a strong, powerful business woman would become so clear in my mind as I wrote down all the traits that I thought a strong business woman would have.

Funny story- when I began liking boys, my mom would have me write down a list of characteristics that I wanted in a man to guide me in my dating selections. I still have lists from 15-year-old Karli that include, "captain of the swim team, holds the door open for others, and swings with me". 

I still use this exercise today to understand who I am in this moment and who I want to become (yes, I also use it for dating). I encourage all of you to take a few moments to write a list of who you are now and who you want to be. Then use this to build your future resume. And don't limit yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment