Monday, July 20, 2015

Yoga: What It Means To Me





Hello friends,

I had a compelling conversation about yoga the other day with Jade. It left me feeling on top of the world, so I wanted to share my thoughts with you all. I feel shy about admitting my yoga practice to you all, but it is something that contributes to my every day and I want others to explore this concept. 

I first experienced yoga when I was 15 years old. My first impression was that yoga was full of many self involved individuals who wanted to impress others by performing a headstand while chanting Hindi phrases. Ironically, my second impression of yoga was in college, exploring Italy with a couple students who took pictures of themselves performing headstands at every incredible viewpoint we came across. Again, not a very personal experience.

Not too long afterwards, I began taking the occasional yoga class, but I wasn't completely sold on the idea of the practice. I found myself getting bored and frustrated in the lack of sweat that I was used to in regular workouts. I was also skeptical of the way people would feel so connected to a culture that they didn't really have an understanding of. For example, why was someone calling me a "yogi"? I didn't even know what that meant.



I fell in love with yoga after moving to Seattle. The difference: The Grinning Yogi. I found myself through my practice as I was encouraged by an incredible instructor to use the poses to connect to my body as it was in that exact moment. The Grinning Yogi instructors also play kick-ass music that really allowed me to connect to myself, while the traditional "getting stuck in a rainstorm music" did not. 

These days, my body craves the practice. I practice in a studio a couple times a week, but my real practice comes when I am home alone in front of a mirror. I create my own mix of poses and usually dance to the beat in between. Maybe someday I'll feel compelled to open up about the moments I share with myself, but for now I will just tell you that there is a version of myself that comes alive when I pose in front of my bedroom mirror while my favorite beats guide me to the next motion. (You can find a playlist of some of my favorite yoga songs above the text. I've organized them in an order to begin with intention, provide some warmth and then end with reflection.)

For me, yoga is NOT about relating to another culture or demonstrating my body to another person. I currently do NOT use yoga as my workout for the day. To me, yoga is time dedicated to connecting to myself and finding happiness in my body (which I believe is the actual intent of yoga). Every time I practice yoga, I find myself falling in love with my body over and over again. I feel so proud to look down at my juicy thighs as they support my graceful stance.

At the end of every practice when the instructor guides the class through shavasana, whether I am in a studio or in my home, I close my eyes and pray to God. I thank Him for my body and anything else I feel gratitude towards. I then ask Him to keep my friends and family safe and in good health. Finally, I let my thoughts go and picture myself with flowing hair, running through a field of flowers. I don't know why I always come to this, but this moment allows me to feel happiness about who I am, regardless of anyone else.

If I ever become a yoga teacher, I will offer a class that enables others to lose themselves in music to find their inner confidence and see beauty in their body's ability.I encourage you all to practice something that allows you to connect to your body and your mind. Allow for a few moments during the day that contribute to your physical and mental health.

Side note: Ladies, if you read this post and feel compelled to play your favorite tunes and connect to your body, I highly suggest applying a shade of lip stick or a simple braid to your hair to add a touch of confidence. And don't be afraid to shake those hips in between poses or sing out loud! 



No comments:

Post a Comment