Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fun Things in Gainesville

I move across the country in 4 days.

I still cannot fathom how this opportunity came into my life or how to live knowing that everything in my life is about to change. I could move to Seattle and become anyone that I want because no one knows my past or my most importantly, my mistakes. There is no one to judge me for embarrassing lip stick shades that I've tried in the past years; no one to remind me of the time my foot got caught in the string of a pinata when I was desperately trying to gorge myself with candy; no one to expect me to be the outgoing one in a crowd.

I have become saddened by this, but I make myself stop feeling sad because moving to an amazing place for a great job is such an exciting thing. I will probably feel lonely at first, but I need to realize that I am outgoing and will meet friends very quickly. One thing is for sure, I will miss the mornings spent working on my computer while Lucy fights for my attention by cuddling with me on my lap.

I am leaving my hometown, but I realized that many readers will have just arrived in Gainesville and might be feeling lonely. I decided that it would be beneficial to include information about things to do in Gainesville for younger people who are new to the city.

1. Sports-- There are many different groups at UF Southwest Rec and around Gainesville (just google, for non-students) that play sports. A few are volleyball, dodge ball, ultimate frisbee, biking clubs, etc... Any of these would be excited to have another member.

2. Community Ed Courses/ Leisure Courses-- Santa Fe College offers many different classes for anyone in the community to take. I've done a few of these, such as ballroom dancing, tango and belly dance. UF also has a similar set up called Leisure courses. I've taken the bar tending leisure course. All classes that I've taken through UF or Santa Fe have been really fun.

3. Free Friday Concerts-- Gainesville offers free local music at the Bo Didley Plaza on Friday nights beginning in the Spring. There are always really nice people hanging out at the plaza and many neat venders. The schedule can be found here-
http://www.gvlculturalaffairs.org/website/programs_events/plaza_series/plaza.html

4.  Art Walk-- Art Walk in Gainesville happens every last Friday of the month. This is an exciting event where many local artists will set up their galleries around downtown and it is free and open to the public for viewing. The website is found here- http://www.artwalkgainesville.com/. It is a perfect place to meet new exciting people of all ages.

5. Go to the springs-- There are many springs located around Gainesville. Most are only 30 minutes to an hour away. You can spend the day swimming in the spring or canoeing/ kayaking down the Santa Fe River. My favorite springs are Blue Spring, Ginnie Spring and Ichetucknee Spring. A website for all the springs in Florida can be found here- http://www.floridasprings.org/

I hope that new people to Gainesville can enjoy these things to do as much as I do. Gainesville really is an amazing place filled with beautiful people. I feel so lucky to have grown up in a town like this.

Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment